This website was last tested on 6th January 2022. We use the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines V2.1 level A and level AA to test how accessible www.cht.nhs.uk is.
We used this approach to deciding on a sample of pages to test:
- Looked at all mediums used on the site for example text, images, maps, videos, forms etc
- Added at least one page per item to our sample list
- Always include the homepage
How we checked
The test was carried out by The Health Informatics Service Web Department. Automated tests were used to check the accessibility of the site but they do not show most accessibility issues. We used Lighthouse to audit each page in the sample for accessibility issues. We used Wave and Axe DevTools to test for accessibility issues on pages that do not need users to sign in. Errors found were correlated and checked manually. A keyboard, tab through and zoom check was done. These tests were completed using a Google Chrome browser on Windows 10 with a 14 inch screen.
Pages we checked
- Patients & Visitors
- Board of Directors Meeting Dates and Papers
- Oncology/Cancer Services
- Working for us
The issues we found
- 1.1.1 Non-text Content (Level A) - Missing alternatvie text
- 1.1.1 Non-text Content (Level A) - Alternative text is likely insufficient or contains extraneous information
- 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context) (Level A) - The link text contains extraneous text or may not make sense out of context
- 1.4.5 Images of Text (Level AA) - Text is present inside images
- 1.3.1 Info and Relationships (Level A) and 1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence (Level A) - A table is present without any headings defined
- 1.2.1 Prerecorded Audio-only and Video-only (Level A), 1.2.2 Captions (Prerecorded) (Level A) and 1.2.3 Audio Description or Media Alternative (Prerecorded) (Level A) - Embedded or linked YouTube videos are present and may not be fully accessible
- Redundanttitle text is present throughout the site
- The site makes use of multiple PDFs, Word documents and PowerPoints. Some are a legal requirement. These are not accessible to some screen reader software.