Falls prevention service
A third of people aged 65 and over will fall each year. Evidence suggests that some of these falls can be prevented. If you are over 50, have had a fall or are worried about your balance and frightened of falling, help or advice is available from the Falls Prevention Team.
We offer care including:
- Raising public awareness of falls and how to prevent falls
- Identifying older people who are at risk of falling using a simple five question screening tool
- Undertaking more detailed falls risk screening and referring patients to appropriate services to help
- manage the risk of falling
- Providing education and advice to older people including advice on physical activity, diet, footwear
- and environmental hazards
- Providing strength and balance groups in local settings and/ or tailored exercises in the older
- people’s homes.
- The Falls Prevention Team work in a preventative role, trying to identify and help older people very
- early in their fall history or before a fall occurs.
For information in preventing falls, click here.
How can I access this service?
You can refer yourself or someone you are concerned about directly by contacting Gateway to Care on 0845 111 1103 and the telephone advisor will be able to provide further information and refer if this is appropriate. You can also be referred to the service by other health and social care professionals, for example your GP or practice nurse.
Falls Prevention on the NHS Choices website
Where to find us
Calderdale Falls Prevention Team
St John’s Health Centre
Who to contact to find out more
Call the team on 01422 307323, Monday to Friday 8.30am and 4.30pm
Meet the Team
The Falls Prevention Team consists of a falls clinical specialist and four falls prevention workers