An Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/ High Dependency Unit (HDU) operates on both the Calderdale Royal Hospital and Huddersfield Royal Infirmary sites. The ICU/HDU caters for adult patients who are admitted to the unit from the Accident & Emergency dept, the operating department and the general surgical, medical and orthopaedic wards. This may be following an emergency, elective surgery, multiple traumas or for anyone needing respiratory support.
On both sites each unit has the following beds:
- Calderdale Royal Hospital (CRH) – four intensive care beds and two high dependency beds.
- Huddersfield Royal Infirmary (HRI) - six intensive care beds and two two high dependency beds.
- Both units provide facilities for visiting relatives and arrangements can be made to provide overnight accommodation if necessary.
- Visiting hours are flexible and open, although the best time to visit is often in the afternoon or early evening after the doctors rounds and any necessary procedures are finished.
Where to find us
CRH - Level 3 floor above A&E.
HRI – Ground floor through the main entrance – keep right and follow the signs.
Who to contact to find out more
CRH - Maureen Overton – General Manager 01422 223971
HRI - Louise Mills – Matron - 01484 342452
Meet the team
The medical team on each unit is led by a lead clinician who is a consultant anaesthetist. The nursing team for each unit is led by the Matron for ICU/HDU services. Each unit is then staffed by highly skilled nurses with a team of senior sisters responsible for the day to day running of the unit. A staff development sister is also in post on each unit to ensure that all education and training needs of the staff are met.
- Clinical Director - Dr R Bailie (Consultant Anaesthetist)
- Lead Clinician - Huddersfield Royal Infirmary – Dr Julie O’Riordan (Consultant Anaesthetist)
- Matron ICU/HDU – Louise Mills