Chemotherapy & Haematology services
Chemotherapy Outpatients: We have two units for the provision of day case chemotherapy. The Gartland Suite in the Macmillan Unit at Calderdale Royal Hospital and Greenlea Oncology Unit on ward three at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary. The units are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm Patients who need blood products and fluids for their treatment can also attend the units. This helps our patients have as normal a life as possible by attending at their convenience and returning home after their appointment. Patients who are having on-going chemotherapy are encouraged to access the unit for advice, treatment, information or reassurance, so we are aware of any problems. We hope to provide a friendly, informal welcoming atmosphere for all patients and their friends and family.
We treat all common cancers for patients living in the Calderdale and Huddersfield areas. Both our chemotherapy suites deal with breast, upper gastrointestinal and haematology cancers. All gynaecological cancers are treated at Calderdale Royal Hospital and all lung, bladder and prostrate are treated at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
We are also fortunate to have Sysmex blood analysers on both units and inpatient ward 12 at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary. This machine allows us to get a full blood count result within minutes, which speeds up the treatment process in most cases.
Inpatients: All inpatient (people who stay at least one night) oncology and haematology treatment and care is provided on ward 12 at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary. The ward has 22 beds and there are 10 single rooms with en-suite facilities (four of which are positive pressure rooms for neutropenic patients.) There are also two twin-bed bays and two four-bed bays with nearby bathroom/shower room and all are single sex. There are two day rooms with TV, video and music centre, books, magazines, games and jigsaws and relative’s room for overnight stays. We also have an information room for patients, relatives and staff, with booklets, leaflets and access to the internet. Between 9 am and 4pm poorly patients can ring either chemotherapy unit for advice or admission. From 4pm until 9am and weekends patients should ring ward 12.
Where to find us
- Gartland Suite at Calderdale Royal Hospital
- Greenlea Oncology Unit on ward 3 at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary
- Ward 12 at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, Park in the main car park and enter via the main entrance, down the corridor to the left of the hospital shop and the ward is at the end.
Who to contact to find out more
- The Gartland Suite: Elaine Scott, chemotherapy nurse Tel: 01422 222668 Fax 01422 222705 firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Greenlea Oncology Unit: Jackie Swire, chemotherapy nurse specialist – Tel: 01484 342152 Fax 01484 342187 email@example.com
- Ward 12: Chris Lord, ward manager – Tel: 01484 342474/342475 Fax: 01484 347268. firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet the team
The outpatient units are staffed by nurses who have had specific training in caring for patients
receiving chemotherapy. The majority of chemotherapy is given as outpatient care within the
chemotherapy units. Care for all patients on ward 12 is planned and delivered by a multi-disciplinary
approach. Patients are encouraged to play an active role in planning their care.
Dr Uschi Hofmann
Colorectal, bladder and prostate
Dr Jarek Czyz
Chemotherapy & Haematology Services
- In-patient Facilities - Ward 12
- Chemotherapy Out-Patient Facilities