If you are having a sigmoidoscopy you will need to take a solution to clean the bowel, this will allow the endoscopist to visualise the lining of the bowel and identify any abnormalities.
It is very important you follow the instructions carefully, failure to do this may involve you requiring a further procedure or cancellation on the day. The pre-assessment nurse will discuss the bowel prep with you and instructions will be sent out with the preparation.
If you have any questions, concerns or haven’t received any prep please contact the Endoscopy unit.
This video explains how to take Moviprep for a morning procedure.
This video explains how to take Moviprep for an afternoon procedure.
Foods to avoid 3 days before taking bowel preparation
- Nuts, seeds and pulses including baked beans
- Wholemeal pasta and brown rice
- Wholemeal or brown bread including granary, high fibre white bread, seeded bread
- Potato skins and chips
- Wholegrain cereal such as All Bran, Bran flakes, Shredded Wheat, Muesli and cereals with added fruit or nuts
- Red meat
- Cakes, biscuits, puddings or sweets containing fruit and / or nuts
- Any puddings containing fruit and / or nuts
- Tomatoes and pepper
There a number of bowel preparations available please click on the links for the prep you have been given for instructions on how to take this.