Council of Governors
What is it?
- The Council of Governors, collectively, is the body that binds CHFT to patients, service users, staff and stakeholders.
- Governors do not manage the operations of the trusts – they challenge the board of directors and hold the Non-executive directors to account for the performance of the board.
- Governors also represent the interests of NHS foundation trust members and the public and provide them with information on the trust’s performance and forward plan
- We have 30 governors on our Council of Governors: 17 public; 6 staff and 7 stakeholder. Meet all our governors here
Can I be a governor?
- Yes! You just need to be a member of the Trust (click here to go to the application form) and over 18 years old
- We hold elections for governors every year in areas where we have vacancies – there would need to be a vacancy where you live for you to be able to stand
To see who can't be a governor see our 'Exclusions' page here
What’s in it for me?
- You’d hear about our latest developments and plans first-hand from senior managers at the Trust
- You'd get regular updates on the Trust's performance
- You’d have a say in appointments to the most senior roles at the Trust, eg the Chair, the Chief Executive and Non-Executive Directors
- You'd be invited to sit on decision making committees
- You’d be the link between members in your constituency and the Board
- You’d be able to vote on significant decisions being made by the Trust
What would I have to do?
- Attend at least two Council of Governors meetings and the AGM in a 12-month period
- Take part in engagement activities with members and members of the public to share information and get feedback (all these activities are coordinated by and supported by staff from the Trust)
- Sign up to our Governors' Charter
- Act as an ambassador for the Trust
- Serve for a three year term initially
How do I become a governor?
- Every spring we start our elections process and we publicise details here on our website about the vacancies we have and how members can nominate themselves to stand for election
- Our next elections will be held in early 2023
I need more information – what should I do?
- Call 01484 347342
- E-mail email@example.com