Antenatal and Newborn Screening
You will be offered a range of screening tests during pregnancy and after your baby is born. It is a good idea to find out as much as you can about screening tests before you are offered them so that you can make informed decisions. Your midwife will discuss screening tests with you at the point of offer and/or before you have the screening performed.
This information is about the screening tests you will be offered during your pregnancy and after your baby is born. It explains the different types of test and what the tests are looking for. We hope this information will help prepare you for discussions with your midwife or doctor so that you can ask the questions that are important to you. It is your decision whether or not to have any of the screening described.
Find out here about Screening Tests for you and your Baby (links to an external website)
Information is available in the following languages: English, Bengali, Chinese, French, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Somali and Urdu from the gov.uk website (links to an external website).
This is our recommended reading
- Introduction to screening tests for you and your baby www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/introduction (links to an external website)
- Infectious Diseases (blood tests) www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/infectious-diseases (links to an external website)
- Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia (blood tests) www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/sickle-cell-and-thalassaemia (links to an external website)
- Downs Syndrome, Edwards Syndrome and Pataus Syndrome
- (NT scan & bloods ‘Combined’ test or Quad blood test) www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/downs-syndrome-edwards-syndrome-and-pataus-syndrome (links to an external website)
- Fetal anatomy scan (20 weeks approx) www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/11-physical-conditions-20-week-scan (links to an external website)
- Newborn Infant Physical Examination (top-to-toe check including eyes, heart, hips and testes. Carried out after 6 hours and within 72 hours of birth) www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/eyes-heart-hips-and-testes-physical-examination (links to an external website)
- Hearing Screen (test for hearing loss usually carried out in hospital) www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/hearing-loss (links to an external website)
- Newborn Blood Spot (test for 9 conditions at 5 days old, carried out in community or hospital) www.gov.uk/government/publications/screening-tests-for-you-and-your-baby/blood-spot (links to an external website)
If you need additional information or discussion regarding your screening choices or test results, please do not hesitate to contact our Specialist Screening Midwives, we are here to support you.
Contact: Nicola Brett or Aimee Hamilton on 01422 222123 / 01484 342790.