Patient Advice and Complaints Service

We want to make it easy for you to talk us about your care. 

Our Patient Advice & Complaints Service are here to listen and respond to your experiences, and help us improve your care and our services in the future.

You might want to contact us if you want more information or advice about your care, you 
wish to pay a compliment or give general views about your care, or you may wish to make us aware 
of your concerns or make a complaint.

We value your opinions and recognise the importance of your experiences. We appreciate that sometimes we make mistakes.  Your feedback to us is very valuable and will help us to improve our services.

Raising concerns about treatment or care - the first step

If you have concerns or wish to complain about your treatment or treatment of a relative, in the 
first instance please raise this with a member of staff in the hospital who is providing care 
to the patient. This might be a nurse or midwife, doctor or health worker. They should be able to 
resolve this directly with you or find someone to help you.

The Matron for a ward or department is also available for you to express any concerns to and there 
is always a Duty matron available out of hours. Matrons can be contacted via the main switch board 
number at either hospital site: 

Calderdale Royal Hospital          01422 357171
Huddersfield Royal Infirmary      01484 342000

Raising your concerns or complaints

If you feel you need help with raising your concerns or complaints and wish to speak to someone 
please contact the Patient Advice and Complaints Service 
We are open Monday to Friday 9.00am-5.00pm
Outside of these hours you can leave a telephone or email message for the team to respond to the 
next working day.

You can also see our guide to making complaints here.

Our contact details are:


Telephone: 01484 343800 
Letter:Please provide your name, address, telephone number and date of birth.  If you are not the patient please also provide their details and state whether you are a relative, carer or friend of the patient. Consent will be requested from the patient or next of kin before sharing information.  
Write to us: 

Patient Advice & Complaints Service, Calderdale & Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust,
Calderdale Royal Hospital
The Old Chapel,
Salterhebble, Halifax

Online:Complete an online feedback form which is available
Leaflet:A feedback form is available at the back of our Patient Advice and Complaints Service leaflet which can be obtained from any member of staff.  Please either hand your completed form to a member of staff  or place it in the Patient Advice and Complaints Service post box at the Front Reception at either hospital.

Independent help and support available in making a complaint

The NHS Complaints Advocacy Service is not part of the Foundation Trust and can provide independent advice and support. Their contact details are:


For Halifax Residents

Healthwatch Calderdale

Elsie Whitely Innovation Centre

Hopwood Lane



Tel:      01422 399433

For Huddersfield Residents

Touchstone Advocacy Service

Dewsbury Business Centre

13 Wellington Road East


WF13 1HF

Tel:    01924 460211


Open our guide to making a complaint and you can also see our complaints policy here too. If you would like a copy of our policy in large print, Braille, audio, CD or in another language please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Patient Advice & Complaints Service.