Stroke Services at CRH
We are a team of 4 (aiming to be 5) full time stroke consultants and specialists, supported by a team of specialist nursing, therapy and ancillary staff on hyperacute stroke unit and three rehabilitation stroke wards. There is 24/7 specialist stroke nurse cover for emergencies on site and consultant led TIA clinic service is provided 7 days a week as per Royal College of Physicians guidelines.
Using a range of specialist assessments, treatments and self management advice, we work as a big cohesive team, towards providing nationally agreed stroke service specifications, aiming to exceeding national stroke unit targets and towards having an exceptional score on the National SSNAP stroke quality audit. We are proud to work closely with the Stroke Association, community stroke team and early supported discharge teams in the region.
What do we do?
Following referral from A&E or primary care physicians, new patients are seen for assessment and appropriate treatment of their stroke-related problem using a multi-disciplinary approach. We have fostered close links with the YAS (Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust) for timely and safe transport direct to stroke assessment area at Calderdale Royal Hospital, including involving paramedics in some ongoing research studies
Our range of services for patients across the catchment area includes:
- New patient assessments for acute and hyperacute stroke, including intravenous thrombolysis (and thrombectomy pathway; which is evolving)
- Effective multi-disciplinary rehabilitation with realistic goal setting on rehab wards, including specialist led ward rounds, MDT meetings and dedicated consultant sessions for family updates
- Stroke specialist follow up and treatment clinics, 4-5 per week
- TIA clinics 7 days a week
- Expert radiology and vascular advice available on site
- Close links with neurosurgical departments in Leeds for transfer or advice if needed
- Regional rota during out of hours using telemedicine; for hyperacute stroke assessments and advice, involving Calderdale, Bradford and Harrogate stroke units
- Palliative specialist input to stroke management
- Specialist nursing and therapy assessments
- Our consultants are principal investigators for ongoing national and international stroke trials, contributing to quality stroke research
- Health promotion in the community
Where to find us
Our hospital based services are located on ward 7C (acute and hyperacute) and three stroke rehabilitation wards 7A, 7B and 7D, all located on one site on second floor of Calderdale Royal Hospital, Halifax.
How to contact us
Via switchboard on 01422 357171
Routine Appointments / changes to appointments – please contact outpatient appointments department – via switchboard
General Enquiries/Emergencies – stroke secretaries via switchboard Tel: 01422 357171
Meet the team
Dr Anand Nair
Dr Manohar Kini
Dr Pratap Singh Rana
Dr Sanjeev Prasad